Monday, March 9, 2015

I wish I knew then what I know now. Top 5 things every Walt Disney World first-timer should know.

So, you're ready for your first Walt Disney World vacation. Or are you? You've been on vacation before. You've been to a theme park before. How hard can it be? Walt Disney World is like no other vacation destination in the world. You can return multiple times and still not know about all there is to see and do. Even after 5 trips and tenaciously seeking out all there is to know, I still find myself learning something new all the time. So, thinking back to my first visit, I've compiled this list of things that I had to learn the hard way in the hopes of saving someone else the trouble.


1. Oh My! The weather changes so quickly here. (Dorothy, Wizard of Oz)

My very first visit to the Magic Kingdom lasted a grand total of less than 10 minutes. Literally. 10 minutes. By the time we arrived and got settled it was late afternoon. Most people would organize and relax to be ready to start fresh. Not me. It took me 34 years to get here and I couldn't wait one more night to set foot inside that castle! So we head over to MK and go through the security checkpoint, pass under the railroad and step into my dream world. There in the distance is the sight I waited my whole life to see, drawing me in like a tractor beam on the Death Star, Cinderella Castle. With tears in my eyes, and my family laughing at me, we head down Main Street USA. Roughly half way down, the previously-blue skies opened up and the rain poured down in buckets. Having no idea of the park layout or where to go, instinct told us to turn around. Maybe we could seek refuge under that train tunnel. Suddenly, we are caught in the middle of thousands of people bottle-necking to get to the same place we were going. We did finally make it back to the tunnel. By this time, the rain had stopped, the sun returned and it was blue skies again. We, however, were completely soaked to the bone (see photo above). There was no other choice, we headed back to our resort, dripping all the way.
On another trip, we visited for the Christmas activities. Yay! We will be escaping the cold north to soak up the Florida sunshine. Maybe Santa will be wearing swim trunks, LOL. Cold snap. Evening temps in the 30's. All our winter coats, hats, scarves and gloves are back in PA. We had to alternate the 2 pair of jeans we all brought while our shorts and capri pants sat unused in the suitcase.
Know the weather before you go!! It is NOT always sunny in Florida. Yes, it can get cold and yes, it can be wet! Many times, the rain will come and go quickly and there is always something to do while you wait it out. A day in the parks doesn't have to end because of rain. Always have ponchos! And in case of cold, always pack clothes you can wear in layers to put on and take off as needed.

2. Understand Fastpass and Standby lines

Day 2 of our trip also got off to a less-than-stellar start. We traveled with relatives who had been MANY times before, so they were not quite as anxious as we were to get moving in the morning. After the disappointment of the previous evening and a bit of a late start, we were determined to get a lot done. We visited Disney Hollywood (then MGM) Studios. The afore-mentioned relatives assured me that we just HAD to hit Tower of Terror first! A thrill ride with a spooky ghost theme? Right up my alley. Count me in! However, the kids were still a bit young and it didn't sound so appealing to them. So the husband (who understands this trip means way more to me than the kids at this point) tells me to go ahead and he will wait with the kids until I'm done and then we will find something for all of us to enjoy. 2 hours. Yes, 2 hours my husband and kids sat on a curb waiting for me to finish. Being our first time, he had no idea where to go or what to do. He didn't know that the rides had wait times posted at the entrance. And since this was back in the day before I even had a cell phone, he had no idea how I would find them when I got off. So they waited. They were not pleased. Know in advance that all rides have a big sign out front telling you how long the wait is. If you decide to split up, this will tell you approximately how long you have to do something else. Also, do a little research and get Fastpasses for rides that generally have long lines! The new system lets you plan all this before you even get there now. Use it! Also know that some rides offer a Rider Switch service so you don't need to split up at all if the kids don't want to ride. You will save yourself a lot of wasted wait time if you learn all this stuff in advance.

3. Do your own research

As previously mentioned, we traveled with WDW veterans. Since I knew next to nothing about the place, I assumed that I could just do what they told me and it would be great. Not so much. While we considered this a once-in-a-lifetime trip, they were more of the "been there, done that" type and our touring styles were definitely NOT in sync. By Day 4, I decided that I had enough and we struck out on our own. From then on, it was the best trip ever! Whether you are traveling with pros like I did or just getting advice from them, don't be so quick to place all your plans in someone else's hands. Everyone does Disney differently. Others may not have the same tastes, priorities, or expectations as you. While it's nice to get advice and opinions from those with experience, only you know your family's likes and dislikes. You know what resorts, restaurants, foods and attractions will hold the most enjoyment for you. If something catches your interest, don't be afraid to try it just because you "didn't hear good things". Also, a well-thought-out plan will save you the aches, pains and wasted time of zig-zagging through the parks all day. The My Disney Experience app is invaluable for booking all your advance dining reservations and Fastpasses. And, it also makes it so easy to rearrange these plans on the go.

4. Know all the perks of staying on-property

On this first trip, our pros also suggested a nice off-property condo for us to stay in. For people on their first real vacation anywhere, it seemed pretty nice. The price was decent. We had plenty of room, a pool, hot tub, washer and dryer and a kitchen. They said we would save a bunch of money on over-priced park food by cooking at the condo, so we headed off to the local Walmart to stock up on groceries. A real home away from home. But wait. If I wanted to be home, I would have stayed at home. I'm supposed to be on vacation here! So, we drove our rented minivan, which cost me almost $400 for the week, back and forth to the parks every day. We paid for parking every day. At the time, I think it was about $15 a day. Then we would have to waste time leaving the parks to drive back and cook dinner because we didn't want to waste all that food we bought. And I started to wonder if this place was really the bargain we thought it was. I know this plan works for a lot of families, especially when you have a bigger group. But, it was just the 4 of us. So for our next trip, I wanted to learn about staying on-property. And I really liked what I learned. If you plan to spend all your time on Disney property (and sometimes even if you do go off-site for a while), you don't actually need your own transportation at all! They have transportation options that will get you to every location on property. They even give you a ride to and from the airport. There are cabs and shuttle options to visit other attractions that will even pick you up right at your resort. No rental car is a big money saver. Even if you have your own car, resort guests don't pay for parking. Then, there is Extra Magic Hours. More time in the parks only available to resort guests. Free magic bands. Dining plan options that you can purchase in advance and get all your meals with the touch of a magic band. Also, being surrounded by the beautiful Disney themes and having access to the unbeatable Disney service. Taking all these things into consideration, staying on-site can be just as economical as off. Plus no cooking, no cleaning, no laundry (of course, they have facilities if you choose to use them). Now THIS is my idea of a vacation.

5. You will need a vacation after your vacation

While most people go on vacation to relax and recharge, that's not usually the case with Walt Disney World. While they do have many beautiful resorts and spas where you can while away the hours, they are so jam-packed with things to do, it's easy to get caught up in the whirlwind. One thing you should know up front: you can NOT do it all in one trip. Actually, you can not do it all in multiple trips. So don't try. A typical park day consists of a minimum of 10 miles of walking. That could be quite a shock to a body that's not used to it. Comfortable shoes are an absolute must! Also, soft socks, moleskin and band aids for those poor feet and some pain reliever for those aching muscles. Also, a little pre-vacation "training" may be in order. Add some walking to your daily routine in the weeks before your trip. Even kids with boundless energy will get tired so don't be surprised by a meltdown. Young children who have not used a stroller in years will benefit from having one at WDW. They can get some rest, maybe even grab a quick nap. It saves Mom and Dad from having to carry a kid who just can't go another step. Plus, it makes a great place to stow all your park bags. Plan for breaks and down time. Sleep in late sometimes. Don't push anyone past their limits. Stay hydrated! And even after doing all this, know that you will still come home feeling exhausted. And that's OK. Because, once you do all the unpacking and the laundry and the grocery shopping and get the kids off to school, you will sit down and look at the photos and the videos and think of the trip you just had, and you will know that it was worth it all!

There is an endless supply of tips and tricks out there, but for me, understanding these 5 things would have made our first trip much more magical. And in case you didn't get the hint by now, I'm not a big fan of traveling with other families. However, the magic is what you make of it. And when everyone asks "how was your trip?", it's the things you choose to remember that makes all the difference. Nothing is perfect and there will always be bumps in the road. But, in my opinion, the beauty and magic of Disney far outweighs anything else. And, there is nowhere in the world I would rather be!

Join Disney Super Fans on Facebook for more Disney fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment