Sunday, March 15, 2015

Walt Disney World - Is it "worth it"?



Since I joined Facebook, the majority of time I spend on it has been spent on my favorite subject: Disney. I joined many different fan groups and I probably spend more time on them than anything else. I soon noticed that no matter what the actual subject was, I began to see the same question asked again and again: "IS IT WORTH IT?"

Usually cost is the main factor. Nobody can really give you an accurate estimate of what your Walt Disney World vacation will cost. There are just too many variables to consider. A family of four may be able to visit for a week for around $2000 while another family of four can spend $10,000 for the same week. First, there is the difference in resorts from off-site to value to deluxe. The next biggest expense is food: dining plan, deluxe dining, no dining. Then add to that the multitude of available extras such as: tours, park hoppers, water parks, excursions, memory maker, etc. The list goes on and on.

When it comes to these things, only you know your family best. You know if you want to be in the parks from open til close or if you want to spend time lounging by the resort pool. You know if your kids will prefer to eat Croque Monsieur or Chicken Nuggets. You may not want to spend extra on a dessert party if your family doesn't eat a lot of sweets. Or, you may not want to get tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party if your family prefers Halloween. When it comes to spending extra money, other people's opinions can only hold so much weight. Some people love the value resorts, some hate them. Some love Typhoon Lagoon while others prefer Disney Quest. There are too many extras to try them all at once. Choose the ones that fit best with your tastes, style and budget. If you're lucky enough to return, you can always try others next time.

The other factor is time. Even though we all wish it, we can't stay there forever. Most of us have a set amount of time to spend. And although we know we can't possibly do it all, we want to cram in as much as possible. So is it worth it to wake up early for rope drop? Is it worth it to wait in line for 7 Dwarfs Mine Train if we couldn't get a Fastpass? Is it worth it stay up late for Extra Magic Hours?

This one can be even harder to get a clear opinion on. I've noticed that the most popular response to "what ride do you dislike the most?" is Stitch's Great Escape. However, I think it's funny and we go on every trip. If you asked people about riding Maelstrom two years ago, I'm betting the popular response would be "don't go out of your way or bother getting a Fastpass for it". However, when it's closure was suddenly announced last year, people were clamoring to get on. See, the one thing that we can always count in when it comes to Walt Disney World is that it is constantly changing. And some of these changes happen on very short notice. You never know when the last time you did something was going to be the LAST time. I may have taken time to get a few more photos at the Sorcerer's Hat if I had know it would be gone by the time I returned. The list of extinct attractions at WDW is growing all the time and there are plenty of things on that list that I wish I got to try before they were gone.

That's not to say you will love them all. And that's OK. There actually have been a number of things I have tried and decided that once was definitely enough! To prove my point, one of those things was Finding Nemo, the Musical. I know, I know! Most people think it's the most wonderful show on property and would think I'm insane. But I didn't really like it. And, I thought it was too long and took up too much of my park time. So as you can see, there is no definitive answer when choosing what attractions to see.

Whether we are talking about resorts, restaurants, parties or tickets everyone wants to know if the extra time or money is "worth it". And, usually, I will see an even amount of responses that are pro and con. Because the truth of the matter is that everyone feels differently about everything. Things that are very important to some may be less important to others. So for all these reasons, I say that EVERYTHING is "worth" trying at least once. Even for the things I don't want to repeat, I don't regret having had the experience. Whether you love them or hate them, every experience in WDW is unique in it's own way so don't be afraid to form your own opinions. And one of the best things about having so many choices is that no two trips are the same. Trying new things makes every trip feel new and different. So while it's OK to ask for reviews or opinions, don't let those opinions stop you from trying anything because you never know when it will be your last chance!

For more Disney fun, join Disney SUPER fans on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment